A KWLS chart is an organizational graphic tool for students to track their learning on a particular topic!
K = What students already KNOW
W = What students WANT to know (or WONDER, what questions do they have)
L = What students LEARN
S = What students STILL want to know or want to know more about
KWLS charts are effective tools for engaging students in the learning process!
Some Benefits Include:
- taps into students’ schema
- students recall knowledge
- personally connects students to topic
- promotes higher-level thinking
- sparks curiosity
- records learning progress in a neat structure
- improves reading comprehension
- simple method for note-taking
KWLS charts can be applied to any topic or lesson and they are so easy to use!