Read the dystopian short story The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster that predicts a world completely dependent on technology. This cautionary tale will have students wondering if they are using technology too much to support their emotional and spiritual needs.
Included in this resource:
- Full text of “The Machine Stops” by E.M. Forster (PDF)
- Pre-reading activity: A Day with no Technology (PDF)
- Pre-reading activity: Journal Prompt (PDF)
- Graphic organizer of academic vocabulary from the short story (PDF)
- 20 Reading Questions: A combination of reading comprehension, literary analysis, and discussion questions (PDF)
- Editable Copy of all the activities (word document)
- Powerpoint presentation with vocabulary terms, definitions, and brief author background info
- Teacher copy with full answer key to the reading questions (PDF)
You May Also Like!