“The Lesson” Short Story by Toni Cade Bambara is an eye opening story to many about the economic injustices in American society. A group of children from Harlem visit FAO Schwarz in New York City, only to be shocked and confused by the prices of items they’ve never seen before.
In this lesson plan, you will receive:
- Activating Strategy — before reading word splash
- Introduction to “The Lesson” Powerpoint presentation
— Background on the author Toni Cade Bambara
— Academic Vocabulary with graphic organizer
— Slang Terms Definitions
- Literary Analysis Questions and Answer Key
- Discussion questions for collaborative learning
- After reading Journal Prompt on influential adults
- Costs of Living activity
Students can work on their literary analysis skills using this lesson and practice how to analyze a particular point of view or cultural experience reflected in a work of literature. Literary terms studied in this lesson include: theme, point of view, dialogue, simile, idiom, character motivations (characterization), and symbolism.