Your students will love the sweet and meaningful short story Fish Cheeks by Amy Tan! This Reading Comprehension Guide and lesson plan will require your students to analyze the literature and appreciate other cultures and traditions.
Included in this short story analysis:
- Before reading journal prompt
- Academic vocabulary
- During reading questions — reading comprehension and literary analysis
- After reading discussion questions — to form personal connections
- Cultures and Customs classroom activity — get to know your classmates a little better!
- After reading textual evidence scavenger hunt
- After reading objective summary
- Answer keys
I love this story because it highlights the difficulties young teenagers face while growing up with multiple identities, and it is relatable to any young person who has ever felt like they don’t fit in. This story is great around Christmas as it features Chinese traditions and customs during the holiday season (Christmas Eve)!